Friday 6 July 2012

The end of Dye transfer printing

I had this indescribable fascination with Dye Transfer printing since I saw this interview with Ctein a few years ago. Since then I've been keeping in touch with Ctein and I was a little alarmed when I spotted the announcement that dye transfer is going to end soon. It is sad in a way, because he is the last person that I know of that still prints in this way. Kodak stopped producing the chemicals, matrix film and paper back in the early 1990s and Ctein bought all the stock he could find so that he could continue printing. When his stock runs out, it will be gone forever. So we decided to order three prints just to see this in real life. I am excited to announce that Ctein will soon send me mine. (Sorry Ctein, I lifted the descriptions and photos from your site). He quoted me a price in dollars, but he was not very specific about the exact flavour of dollars he wanted. Obviously I offered to pay him in the now defunct Zim dollars and be generous and add a few zeroes onto his price. He didn't fall for it. Smart man! I ordered these three prints: Fresh Pahoehoe Fresh Pahoehoe, Mothers Day Flow HI -- 2002 A tongue of bright cherry-red lava seeps from under sparkling black and white crust. A brilliantly textured and detailed scene, with filaments of orange-gray new crust solidifying on the tongue. Competing Ferns Competing Ferns, May '73 Lava Flow HI ~ 2002 A cluster of ferns in greens, reds, oranges, yellows, and browns springs forth from a crevice in the charcoal black pahoehoe from the May 1973 lava flow. Mud Horsetails Mud and Horsetails, N. Ontario Canada ~1980 In the light of the setting sun, horsetails glow with almost luminescent shades of yellow-green, as they grow out of the rich brown-maroon mud of the stream bed. I tried to pick three that appealed to my own idea of good composition and that I believe should show the advantages of dye transfer. I don't have any idea what they are going to look like, so I am waiting. Here are a few dye transfer links:
  1. http://ctein.com/dyetrans.htm - Ctein describing the process.
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvqGN96Q9WU - A video of Charles Cramer describing the process
  3. http://www.charlescramer.com/dyetransfer.html - Charles Cramer's article about the printing process
  4. http://luminous-landscape.com/video_journal/video_clips-11.shtml - Ctein's videos on the Luminous Landscape where the man himself shows us how to make prints.

No comments:

Post a Comment